Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Everybody's doing it

As soon as I saw the "no-knead bread" recipe I knew I was going to try it. It was easy, it seemed like a science experiment and required a dutch oven - all my favourite things. Plus there was a video showing how to do it.

So far two food blogs I read had tried it. The Wednesday Chef has a very good article on it. My mother, who is living the high life and gets a paper version of the New York Times, also mentioned it to me. I won't repeat the recipe here: you can download it from one of the above links. Instead I am going to list the ingredients and tell you about my experiences.

1 5/8 cups water
3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal

Nothing too fancy



I made the dough last night. The recipe calls for 1 5/8 cups (5/8 is a little more than 1/2 a cup). The Wednesday Chef said her dough was too sticky, so I started by using 1 1/2 cups water and my dough was too dry and wouldn't come together. So I added some more water, not quite 1/4 cup. I think if you are making this, you should start with 1 1/2 cups and then add more water as needed.

Below is a photo of my dough, you can see it's ugly mess. But I didn't worry, it looked like that in the video too.


I let the dough rise overnight and all day while I was at school. When I came home it was dotted with bubbles, just as the recipe said it would be. It was very difficult to get it out of the bowl, it was sticky and I had to pour and pry it out - but again, I did not worry, it looked like that in the video too.

Next I folded it up like a dough envelope and let it sit. In the photo below you can see the fold at the bottom, and the dough dusted with cornmeal.


The bread is baked in a preheated pot, with the cover on for the first 30mins. I was worried that it would be stuck to the bottom of my dutch oven. But it popped right out. And it looked awesome.
And the taste was also excellent. Paul threatened to eat nothing but bread for dinner.

2 comments:

Paul T. said...

This bread was amazing. It's so tasty. Some butter, and that's all you need. It's a meal in itself.

Unknown said...

I love to cook bread but my recipe is different (I think that the recipe I have is more dedicated to cook bread for tea time or breakfast as it is a bit sweet but that much, really). I have to try yours. Like tracer says, It's a meal in itself ... Hopefully, my girlfriend cares about my weight so cooking bread is no more a weekly activity, damn lol

My recipe (did you receive the mail I sent you, with my bookmarks ?):
350 g of all-purpose flour
10 g of brewer’s yeast
2 eggs
¼ glass of oil
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoon sugar

put the flour, the salt and the sugar in a recipient (bowl). Put some warm water with the yeast and turn a bit so it is liquid. Put it into the bowl, add the oil and than 1 egg. Knead the dough (add water if necessary so the dough isn’t sticky and neither hard.

Put a dishtowel on it and leave it near a warm stuff, like a radiator for example, for at least 3 hours till it has risen. Put the yolk of the last egg on it (just for the color) and put it in the oven for 30 minutes at 200°C.

Bon apétit !